Meeting Minutes 16.01.20

Mull Native Woodlands Group

Minutes of meeting held on 16th January 2020

  1. Apologies

Caroline Wood, Tricia Evans, Bill Patterson, Suzanne Patterson, Peter Leach, David Clowes

      Present

Ann Evans (chair), Catherine Evans (minutes), Kirsty Shilson, Mike Shilson, Andy Mortley, Richard Clutterbuck, John Austin, Jo Austin, Jean Laura, Moray Finch,

  1. Minutes from previous meeting 14th  November

The Minutes were approved

  1. Update on the NWMCW sub committee

Tricia has resigned as chair of the sub committee as she has an upcoming school inspection. A new chair has not been appointed yet.

Steve Miller of Tillhill is coming to Mull and plans to walk the planting route with the sub committee.

  1. Update on Tree Nursery

An application has been made to EB Scotland (Environmental Body Scotland) for £23000 which would be used to clear and destump the land, construct a car park for around six cars, a track from the Forestry track, fencing, drainage, a large polytunnel, a water pump to take water from the burn to a storage tank, irrigation. Mike approached TSL to ask if they could give us a discount on their quotation and they have offered us a 50% discount which would mean that the clearing and destumping, track and car park would only cost us around £3500. Moray has informed EB Scotland that we are now asking for less money as this shows that the community is supporting us. Three quotes were needed for the EB Scotland application but we will make a case for using TSL because of their discount.

There was some discussion about considering where to apply for grants, bearing in mind the ethics of the companies involved.

ACTION:

Mike will ask Ian Thompson to submit a quote for fencing.

The sub group will meet again next Tuesday (21st January) to discuss further applications in case our application to EB Scotland is unsuccessful.

  1. Update on Kew seed collection

Everything has now gone back to Kew and the money from Kew (£454.28) will be in our account within the next few days. The amount includes £125 for equipment which we will spend on items needed for the tree nursery. £50 will go to Ann to reimburse her for what she spent on postage. £240 was for mileage and it was agreed that those who has provided transport would redonate their claim to our funds for the nursery. We thanked Ann for all her hard work in organising the Kew seed collection.

ACTION:

Each person donating their mileage payment needs to email Ann stating how much they are donating.

  1. Website training

Craig provided website training for a number of our group. Ann has put three articles on our website: our May 2019 event, the visit to Dundreggan and the visit to Ardura.

ACTION:

  • We all need to be aware that we need to keep producing articles for the website.
  • Ann is going to write an article about the Kew project for the February issue of Round and About. She will also write about the plans for the tree nursery.
  1. Tree planting at Andy Robinson’s croft

One day in December, John Austin and Jean Laura had both helped with the tree planting at Andy’s croft at Langamull, along with around eight others. Altogether, they planted around 150 trees. Andy is hoping to have another session some time soon.

ACTION:

  • For more information, see “Woodland Crofter” on Facebook.
  1. AOCB
  • Mike and Kirsty have raised awareness about our tree nursery project with the Radio Scotland programme “Out of Doors”.
  • Moray suggested that all receipts and claim forms could be scanned and stored electronically on the MICT server.
  • There will be an Open Day at Crannich on Saturday 29th February to show tree planting and how to get grants.
  1. Date of next meeting  Thursday 13th February 7.30pm at John and Jo’s place.